Sunday, May 23, 2010

Boycotting "The Last Airbender"

Go Racebending.com! Let's smash this illegitimate representation of Asians in Hollywood. I already signed the petition in boycotting this movie last year due to Hollywhite's recent advertising blitz around The Last Airbender, and I figured I would let all of my readers know exactly how I feel about the casting for this movie.

It is a slap in the face to every Asian-American. We are still the outsider who cannot play a leading role in 2010. It is a slap in the face to the fans of Nickelodeon's animated Avatar: The Last Airbender series who expected the movie to stay true to its creators. Most importantly, it is a slap in the face to every white American who is not racist, but must now be associated with this group by convention of ethnicity.


The perpetual portrayal of Asian males as villains, nerds, FOBs or extras is just another instrument the "powers that be" used to paint us as trivial members of society. We are Ralph Ellison's "Invisible Man". In fact, when I see a cast for a movie as blockbuster as this one its as if Hollywhite is saying,
C'mon...You know how it is...We just can't have Asian-Americans, especially Asian men, shown in a sexy, charismatic or positive light. Its one of the few ways we can continue brainwashing women of color that we are the best. By the way, I'm dating some hot Asian chick I met through extra casting.

Doesn't Paramount remember how well Dragonball-Z did?  I wonder if the execs at Paramount know its now 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free your mind. The rest will follow...like your fingers.