Thursday, March 17, 2011

Response to UCLA White Girl On Asian Rant

There's been an onslaught of critical responses toward Alexandra Wallace's racist diatribe toward Asian students at UCLA. My cohort is the one who actually informed me of her YouTube video bashing Asians and how the rant went viral. When I heard first the news I became a bit angry since I thought it was going to be extremely condescending and blatantly racist. Before making any rash judgments though I had to watch it for myself, and after viewing the Wallace's clip I must say that her statements aren't completely wrong.

Could she have softened up the tone? Yes. Could she have omitted the mocking of Asians with her, "Ching Chong Ting Tong" comment? Abso-fucking-lutely. In fact, that line is what pissed me off more than anything, because I grew up having to listen to that and thought people in the 21st century would have changed the way they hear Asian languages due to globalization, the Internet, tolerance and understanding. Well it looks I was wrong.

Now I have to concur that Asians are spoiled a little too much by mom and dad. Does that make it a bad thing? Yes and no. I'm not going to get into that debate now but it is true. Secondly, I have also experienced Asians talking on their cell phones in the library which is also annoying as hell because its a LIBRARY, not a coffee shop! Let's not forget it's not just Asians who talk on their cell phones in the library though. I've seen plenty of other people of different ethnic backgrounds yapping away on their phones which could simply be a function of the Asian population majority at UCLA who coincidentally are answering and making calls in the library.

My point is, I am not angry at Alexandra. Additionally, I'm hoping she's not a bigot and want to give her the benefit of the doubt that she was simply stressed out from cramming for finals and needed to vent. The best response I've seen to her video post is the one below.




After watching her response it put a lot of things into perspective for me. Here I am complaining about a bunch of useless crap going on in my life, meanwhile the people of Japan are in shambles after a devastating 8.9 earthquake + tsunami utterly destroyed a community of people and is on the verge of nuclear meltdown. I want to say thanks to sunah17. I commend your response in taking an unfortunate racialized situation and turning it into something positive for all of us to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free your mind. The rest will follow...like your fingers.