Monday, September 19, 2011

The Slanted Screen: An Afterthought

I sent one of my friends Alpha-Asian's blog reposting of The Slanted Screen.  He replied with an interesting afterthought I'd like to share with my readers.
Thanks for sharing. 
I heard about this documentary a few years ago, but never got around to watching it. I think in some ways the progression of Asian-Americans in Hollywood was, and is, inevitable. AA's typically come from cultures that have stood the test of time. The values of these cultures - work ethic, frugality, patience, etc. - are still relevant and effective today. 
Of course, these values are only part of living a truly fulfilling life in America. The values of American culture that are typically missing from AA's are the ones that we aim to cultivate in the game--rebelliousness, bravado, sexuality, dominance, etc. It's already apparent to me that AA's are generally much more attractive now than 20 years ago. The prominence of AA's will continue to evolve; and I think this is a direct result of the work of our parents and grandparents. You need a foundation of survival before you can run off and game. I believe there will be a time when AA men will pull any type of woman just as easily (more passive game; less active game). Unfortunately for us, we're not there yet, so we've got to fight the current. 
Interestingly though, as with so many things in life, these perceptions shift dramatically from place to place. An asian girl I met yesterday pointed out that she didn't think I would be into her, because all the asian guys she knows only date white girls. Even my ex once commented she was surprised I was into her, because she just assumed (by my attitude and demeanor) that I only dated white girls.  And this is not the first time I've heard this.   
Science-fiction writer William Gibson once said, "The future is already here--it's just not evenly distributed." 

Sincerely

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free your mind. The rest will follow...like your fingers.