Saturday, April 10, 2010

Asians in Washington D.C.

So just a brief update.

Sorry if I haven't been posting any new material lately. I recently moved out to the Bay Area in California and have been busy adjusting to life here and the new j-o-b. I have to head on out to D.C. for work and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for any cool Asian hang out spots, towns, clubs, bars, etc.

I know this might sound weird, but I have always found it fascinating to meet Asians from other parts of the world outside of Asia. Especially here in the states, because I'm always wondering how much of their demeanor, personality and attitude is shaped by their daily environment versus their cultural background and upbringing.  For instance, if you meet Koreans from LA K-town versus Koreans out here in the Bay Area, you're bound to notice a distinction in their swagger. Or take a trip to Alhambra or Montery Park where its practically nothing BUT Chinese people versus a Chinese person out in North Dakota (are there Chinese people in North Dakota?).

The point I'm trying to make is that its just really cool to see someone Asian out in another part of the world and even though you don't know them, you feel like you have an instant connection with them.  Now Sarah Palin must know how we feel when her ass went to Hawaii.

So once again, if any of you readers out there have any recommendations, let me know!  I'll check it out, take some photos and post them up when I return!!

2 comments:

  1. My wife and I get the same way too when we travel. We like to see how Asians live in other cities, other countries. Is their subculture slightly different because of the environment? Do Asians in other cities have it better or worse? Where do all the poor Asians congregate? Where do all the rich ones congregate? curious sh!t like that.

    I didn't know you were in the Bay Area, BTW. We ought to hang some time, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah dude. We definitely should. I'll let you know when I'm free.

    ReplyDelete

Free your mind. The rest will follow...like your fingers.